Monday, January 7, 2008

Missing Hiker Meredith Emerson

This weekend I got sent to Blood Mountain on assignment to cover the activities that were unfolding regarding missing hiker Meredith Emerson. When I got there I realized I had just entered the circle that is the media waiting game. Pushed to a corner of the parking lot and kept away about 50 feet from any of the volunteer hikers, It was a constant struggle to find new information, and images that depicted it. After four hours waiting and no additional information, it was time for me to leave. On my drive out I happen to see EMA Hikers who had been on the mountain searching all day. These are the few frames I made before I headed home.


Search and rescue workers with the Georgia Emergency Management Agency look to compass points on a map along Ga. Highway 129 outside of Vogel State Park to aid in the search for Meredith Emerson, a missing 24-year-old University of Georgia graduate. Rescue missions have now changed to recovery efforts after officials charged Gary Michael Hilton with kidnapping with the intent to do bodily injury in relation to Emerson’s disappearance.


Denny Little, left, rescue chief for Gilmer County, leads search and rescue team members Vee Vurnham, center, and Robert Burnham in a wooded area along Ga. Highway 129 Saturday before hearing official word that a suspect has been charged in the kidnapping of 24-year-old Buford resident Meredith Emerson. Searching was limited Saturday to experienced hikers and emergency personnel.


Julia Karrenbauer, roommate of missing hiker Meredith Emerson, walks with friend Ronnie Tompson while waiting for information regarding Emerson’s disappearance. More than 100 volunteers gathered at Vogel State Park Saturday to aid in the search but where delayed as new information surfaced. The recovery effort is scheduled to continue Sunday morning.

The Waiting Game... I had to keep myself busy... At least I got to see snow! ;)



2 comments:

karen said...

Your photos are indeed beautiful. Just read that Ms. Emerson's body has been found... so sad.

Tom McCarthy Jr. said...

Spot news. Stay in one spot, try to shoot some news. At least you got to hang out in a pretty area and came away with something.