Saturday, December 12, 2009

12.12.09 Help Portrait

A Post without a Picture for a Purpose

Today is a day that many of us photographers have been anticipating for months. Its the day that competitive walls are shaken and the comrotary that is built between people working for a greater goal shines through.

All over the world today, 7,000 photographers in 55 different countries came together to give what they can give best, the ability to make people feel beautiful through photography.

I participated today in the Atlanta Help Portrait session in Midtown, and I was so thankful to get placed with a close friend as my assistant. Together we had the privilege of creating and capturing a happy moment in the lives of less fortunate families.

Once we arrived at the location, we walked inside to find a room set up with six different portrait stations complete with lights, backdrops, pocket wizards and props. Technically, every bit of gear we needed was there. But the moment I walked into the room, it wasn't the set-up that I noticed first. It was a young boy under the age of two, with his 4 week old sister in his arms held so tight. Both dressed so beautifully, they were sitting in an oversized chair waiting patiently for their photo to be made. The smile on his face will forever be etched in my mind. It was a face that if not captured today might have been forgotten ten years from now.

As a photographer it was the most unnatural yet rewarding feeling to know that when the individual portrait sessions were over and the memory cards sent to post production, that that was the last time I would see the photos I had just made.

As professional photographers we so often shoot for our audience. Today was the exact opposite. It wasn't even about shooting for ourselves, it was about shooting for them. I can officially say that I walked out of today's help portrait session with not one of the photos that I made.

Today, for the first time, I felt the reality of the gift I have been given as a photographer. The ability I have to capture the essence of everything good in that moment, and the rareness of keeping that moment to the ones that experienced it.

So I don't have a photo of the families for you to look at, but instead I have humbled thoughts and renewed drive to keep living the good that is photography and letting the bad be drowned out by every smiling face representing a life that was touched by this beautiful gift I have to give.

Help Portrait Founder Jeremy Cowart said it best, "Today cultural borders were crossed on one side of the camera and competitive borders on the other." It was by far a movement in the right direction for our industry. :)


Ok, Ok so I kinda fibbed.. I guess I do have a photo from today.. but I didn't take it so it doesn't count;)


Photo credit goes to the lovely tripod that made this group shot happen;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you got to come out and join us today! You guys were a fun finish to a fantastic day!

Danny Ghitis said...

awesome Luanne!